Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bacon Date Appetizer

I originally posted this back in 2009.  Well I once again had my Customer Appreciation Open House and was asked repetedly for the recipe for this tummy yummy treat.  So here you go.  Also below are the recipes for the Rice Krispie Treats and Spinach and Strawberry Salad.

When I had my Customer Appreciation Open House yesterday I made a special appy that a very good friend, Cindy, taught me how to make. Now Cindy is one of those cooks who makes the most amazing foods ever. She can go out and taste a goodie, disect the flavours and tell you what is in it, then goes home and makes it. It usually turns out better than the one she tasted. She is incredible. So she taught me these appies so I could impress people, as most of the people who know me know that the only reason I have a kitchen in my house is because it came with the house when we bought it!!! HAHAHAHA. Anyhoo, the ladies wanted me to post the recipe for this appy on my blog, so here it is. First a picture of the incredible edibles:


Now here's the recipe, its very difficult to make. You will need some water from the fish tank and some flour to throw on your face to show how hard you worked (remember the commercial for the Rice Crispie Squares on TV a few years ago???)

Ingredients:
One container of Pitted Dates
One package lower salt bacon
Some almonds (the ones with the brown skin still on them)

Method:
Pop one or two almonds inside the date using the hole from the pitting
Wrap 1/2 a slice of lower salt bacon around the date
Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet (if you have it, if not don't worry about it)
Place the wrapped dates on the cookie sheet
Put in oven at 400 deg for 10ish minutes (until the bacon is crispy)

To finish:  (this step is optional, I don't do it, too much work LOL)
Make a Balsamic Vinegar reduction
Place appies on a serving plate
Drizzle the reduction over the top sparingly

There you go, difficult huh? Believe me, if I can make them, so can you. The flavour of the salty bacon with the sweet date and the crunch of the almond is to die for. As Emril says "Anything tastes better with port fat!"

I also had a Spinach Strawberry Salad that was a hit, so here is that recipe as well ....
     Baby Spinach
     Sliced Fresh Strawberries
     Toasted or Candied Pecan Halves
     Feta or Goat Cheese (your choice, I used Goat this year.  It was honey vanilla and very yummy)
  Dressing:
     2 Tblsp Strawberry Jam heated
     3 Tblsp Olive Oil
     2 Tblsp Balsamic Vinegar
             Mix well until it comes together and pour over salad.


Then there was the MARS BAR RICE KRISPIE TREATS

• 4 regular-size Mars bars
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 cups Rice Krispies
• 1 cup milk chocolate chips
• chopped nuts (optional)
Directions:
Melt butter and Mars bars over med-low heat in a large saucepan until smooth.
Remove from heat; stir in Rice Krispies cereal, and nuts, (if using).
Press into a greased 8x8 pan.
Top with chocolate chips, and place under broiler for 30 seconds Remove from oven and spread chocolate evenly over squares.
Store in fridge.
Cut into squares, and serve.

Enjoy!
Stampin' Smiles .... 

3 comments:

Candy said...

OH Glenda!!!
You never mentioned your car!!!! I am SO sorry .........that stinks.
Thanks for the great recipe - they were delicious!!
Love Candy

Jessica G. said...

I love the dates wrapped in bacon! But we have them with a matchstick of parmesan cheese inside instead of the almond. Try it sometime!

Theresa said...

Thanks for the great recipes.
Cindy has to be the best "cook"/chef ever, out of all the people I know. You are so lucky to be able to taste anything she makes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails